Steube Debunks Biden’s Misguided Plan to Address Violent Crime Surges in Liberal U.S. Cities
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Greg Steube (R-Fla.) today released the following statement after President Joe Biden announced new initiatives to control climbing violent crime rates across the United States:
“President Biden’s plan completely misses the mark. The only reason why we see violent crime spikes is because the Democrats spent the last year defunding and demonizing the police. This emboldens criminals and allows liberal prosecutors and activist judges to selectively enforce the rule of law. Instead of blaming law-abiding gun owners for the rise in violence, Democrats need to look in the mirror and take responsibility for the crime crisis threatening our citizens.”
Violent crime has surged over the last year in many cities, including:
- Portland, with a 533% increase in homicides and 126% increase in shootings;
- Atlanta, with a 58% increase in homicides and 40% increase in shootings;
- Los Angeles, with a 22% increase in homicides and a 51% increase in shootings;
- New York City, with a 13% increase in homicides and a 64% increase in shootings;
- Philadelphia, with a 37% increase in homicides and a 27% increase in shootings;
- Chicago, with a 5% increase in homicides and a 18% increase in shootings.
Non-gun related violence in liberal cities across the country is also on the rise, including:
- New York City, with a 25.8% increase in auto grand larceny and a 116.7% increase in hate crimes;
- Chicago, with a 23% increase in criminal sexual assault;
- Los Angeles, with a 11.9% increase in motor vehicle thefts and a 9.3% increase in aggravated assaults;
- Washington, D.C., with a 30% increase in motor vehicle thefts;
- San Francisco, with a 5.9% increase in burglaries and a 18.1% increase in arson.
In his remarks, Biden suggested that the main driver of the recent uptick in violence is from gun violence, however there is evidence to suggest that the gun control measures proposed by the Biden Administration would do little to prevent the increase in violent crime the United States has seen. Specifically, Biden’s plan lays out goals of addressing “ghost guns” and modified firearms, which are not a major factor in most of the illegal gun violence cities across the country are facing.
Instead, there are a number of other factors likely at play, including smaller police budgets in liberal cities, increases in police retirements, anti-police rhetoric and distrust in law enforcement, and the failure to prosecute criminals.
In cities like Chicago, liberal mayors have submitted budget proposals fully embracing the “defund the police” movement and slashing critical funding for law enforcement.
In cities like Portland, law enforcement officers are being told to stand down in several instances, including traffic stops so that they can comply with new “consent search rules.”
In other cities like New York, liberal prosecutors and activist judges are arbitrarily dismissing charges against criminals, including those charged with violence and looting during last summer’s riots.
Across the country, police retirements are all increasing due to increasing anti-police rhetoric, resulting in fewer law enforcement officials on the streets. In the past year alone, we have seen a:
- 45% increase in police retirements;
- 18% increase in police resignations;
- 5% decrease in new police hires.
According to Steube, these factors are much more likely to be responsible for the surge in violence than citizens legally owning firearms. Instead of attacking law-abiding citizens’ Second Amendment rights, Steube supports initiatives to put more law enforcement officers in communities, increase penalties for crimes against law enforcement, and to force prosecutors and judges to fully enforce the rule of the law and protect America’s families.
Steube also released a video, which can be found here or below.